Tuesday, July 17, 2012

HairCut: Baldness Regrowth Journey

Every three to four months the difference in hair thickness become insurmontable. While I am combing my hair the disparity in the level of thickness at the root as compared to the ends creates a hair snatching trap. As long as I trim monthly and keep the single strand knots under control my hair can look somewhat healthy. This journey to full hair recovery is longer than I anticipated. It is also more rewarding than I would have imagined.
Whenever I place my hair in the light I can see through the ends, but not the root. I keep hoping that this haircut will finally result in thick hair, but in truth I know I have a lot of follicles to stimulate in order to have that reality. My hair has finally reached thin density as compared to bald-spot density. I only have a few small bald spots throughout my head, and due to my highly textured hair, they are not visible unless I show them to you. Of course, the extra short hair in the middle of my head where I use to be bald is rather awkward looking. I am currently cutting my hair in the dreaded mullet to blend this short hair with the balance of my longer hair. I have taken several inches off of the longest strands as well.
Current Thin Density

Crown Length

Small bald Spot

Current Length

Center Right Bald Spot


Although I should solely be grateful for the gift of hair; I lament the loss of length. It is very difficult to grow my hair long. Ironically, the baldness growth journey resulted in the longest hair I have ever had (my longest hairs could be pulled down to my shoulder blade, a few inches above my bra strap).
Old Length

Having hair at full shoulder blade length was a dream I never thought my afro textured hair was capable of, and I often wonder if I made the right choice in cutting it. My internal fear is that the growth was a fluke. Do I really know what I am doing? This journey is my own, and I am alone on it. Only God guides me on this. These journals have been written so that whomever comes after me, can benefit from my experience.  I had to cut it to eyeball length, pour some VO5(strawberries and creme) for my shed hair, you are not forgotten. I just have to encourage myself that I will be able to grow this thicker hair even longer, and forget about the past. Right now I am wearing a head full of nose length hair, that is 'praise the Lord' of normal thickness. If I am able to grow all my bald spots back, my hair will actually be a little thicker than average. That is just a dream for now, but I think about it, pray about it, and hope for it among many things.

http://www.meetup.com/wildhairedmavens/ http://twitter.com/howconnie http://www.youtube.com/user/howconnie

1 comment:

  1. OMG U HAVE NICE HAIR!! I AM TRYING TO THICKEN MINE UP! I THIN HAIR FROM OVER PROCESSING WHEN I WAS USING RELXERS AS WELL AS GLUING MY HAIR IN! I AM DEF GONNA TRY THE ONION MASK AND SEE HOW IT WORKS PRAYING THAT GOD WILL ALL MY HAIR TO THICKEN UP! I WANT A NICE LENGHT BUT FOR NOW I WILL SETTLE FOR A THICK HEAD OF HAIR...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment Here